Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Another 7/8 Chapter Ends

We returned the 7/8 cello Number 3 to the luthier this past Saturday morning. "And?" he said. "Almost," I said. "Almost, but not quite." I explained that the two-week home trial had confirmed that the 7/8 size is indeed perfect for me, but that this particular instrument just didn't have that certain something that clicked and made it mine. He asked if there was anything particular, in order to avoid it when selecting another for me to test, and I shook my head; there wasn't anything specifically wrong. It just didn't grab me and say, 'You cannot part with me.' I like the tone, the overtones, the balance, the construction, the feel under my fingers, everything; it's just not this one that I need. He has another 7/8 in his Laval workshop and will bring it in for me, but I'm on holiday the last two weeks of July and he's closed the first two weeks of August, so we'll pick up again then. In the meantime there's the two shops in Toronto, and the Scarlatti 7/8 Number 2 to take home for a test, and I'll think about the one in Alaska too.

My office feels much bigger with only one cello in it. I tried playing my 4/4 the other day and, as I was afraid, it feels clunky to me now. I so didn’t want this to happen.

(Condensed and combined from two posts at Owls' Court.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am also looking for a 7/8 cello. Can you tell me where you are looking? thanks

A. Hiscock said...

I've been working with my local luthier, Olivier Perot; he ordered one in for me, then a second one when it sold before I made a decision about it. I also called Wilder & Davis here in Montreal and tried one there, and two at The Soundpost in Toronto. Really, the best thing to do is to call the luthiers in your area and ask if they have any or would be interested in ordering one in for you to try. They're hard to find; you have to let them know you're interested. 7/8s seem to sell fast, though, so if your luthier orders one in and you don't like it enough to buy it, they can usually sell it without trouble, so they won't be left with dead stock.