Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pop Quiz

What do these things have in common?

'Marriage of Figaro' overture (what do you mean you want me to play two bars with a single upbow?)
Symphony no. 3, also by Mozart
Symphony no. 32, yet more Mozart

Selections from South Pacific

And to come, I am told, there are still:

Selections from My Fair Lady
Selections from The Sound of Music

If you guessed 'the Canada Day concert programme' you're right.

I am not a huge fan of musical medleys. They tend to not be well-arranged, schmaltzy, and all over the map rhythm- and key signature-wise. Add in the fact that I have actually never seen South Pacific and, well, yeah. (Okay, I know 'Some Enchanted Evening' and 'Bali H'ai', and am I the only person who thinks of Led Zepplin's 'Immigrant Song' when I hear the latter?) But the Canada Day concerts are all about making the masses happy with cheerful and recognisable music, so musical medleys we will play.

Also, our principal cellist had to tell us today that she wouldn't be in town for the concert, making it the first Canada Day concert she'll miss. Thank the gods she's got two potential subs lined up, because none of us could pull it off without someone solid in her chair. I will miss her terribly.

Somewhat related: I sight-read very well at the beginning of the night (and in E flat major!) but those skills degraded over the course of the rehearsal until I was just keeping up in the overture and the South Pacific medley.

I was really, really hoping for some Beethoven.

I need to go to sleep. I am very awake.

(Originally posted at Owls' Court.)

No comments: