Monday, September 22, 2008

Success!

I cannot find my CD of William Boyce symphonies anywhere, and it is making me very cranky because that's what I want to listen to this morning, damn it. I have to settle for Percy Grainger piano stuff instead. Which is nice to rediscover and all, but he's not William Boyce.

The weekend ranged from really quite nice to argh and back again. On Saturday morning we found HRH a new fall jacket, I picked up some heel liners for my red shoes, and then we headed out to Longueuil to pick up my cello. And oh joy, it sounds bee-you-ti-full. My cello has always been easy to play (in the getting-sound-out-of-it sense, not the oversized-body-thick-neck-argh sense), but now it's even easier! I always forget how strings deteriorate in sound quality over time, and the awful warp on the bridge certainly wasn't helping. I, like an absent-minded sick person, wore a long straight denim skirt and a black sweater along with my red shoes. Lovely for a sunny day in fall; not so conducive to cello-playing. No matter; I sat with both knees together and to the left, and played the cello side-saddle to hear how it sounded. The ten year old girl there renting her first violin gave me a surprised look. Anyway, lovely, lovely sound: I love the feel and tension of the new strings (Kaplan Solutions A and D, Helicore G and C), the new scoop on the fingerboard makes thumb position easy to play (I never thought I'd say that, ever) and the bridge is just beautiful and looks so much sturdier than my last one from my now-ex-luthier. They reshaped the pegs, too. "Really?" I said. "They were fine -- never stuck, never slipped." "You'd have noticed sooner or later," the assistant luthier said darkly. "They were decidedly... oval." And then he asked shyly about the mystery cello, which is still tucked away along a wall of the workroom, so I obliged him by telling him the Secret Origin story. The luthier flew in from dealing with three people in the other room long enough to make sure I was thrilled with the tune-up and then apologised for not getting to the quote on the mystery cello; he said things were very busy. I assured him that of course it was busy, it was the beginning of the school year as well as the concert season, and not to stress about it. It's going to take a while to restore anyway; a few weeks aren't going to make much difference in the long run. It's also not like the mystery cello is my main instrument, and I've lived fifteenish years of my cello-playing life without it. Of course I'm excited about it, but there's no rush.

I forgot to buy rosin again. Again. I give up.

I didn't bring my bow with me to test the new setup so they lent me one, and it's a good thing I didn't play with it for more then five minutes because I was falling in love with it. Perfect weight, nice balance, good springiness; more responsive than the one I currently use, which has been my favourite up till now. The assistant helpfully looked it up for me: pernambuco of Chinese make, four hundred dollars. If it had been three hundred I'd have bought it on the spot. But still, it's a decent price for a pernambuco bow with those fittings and that kind of response. I keep telling myself there's no point in buying a new bow now if I'm going to be playing a different cello in a few months. But I want it.

I played the cello for a while while the boy napped on Sunday, and it still sounds lovely. It sounded much nicer at the lutherie, of course, because of the surroundings and because I wasn't afraid to actually make noise. Pizzicato sounds terrific; nice sustain. I'm looking forward to playing it at orchestra on Wednesday.

~
* The original post at Owls' Court
* Owls' Court: the main journal
~

No comments: