Saturday, May 23, 2009

Uneven Dress Rehearsal...

... hopefully even recital, right?

This morning we had our dress rehearsal for tomorrow's recital. The ensemble stuff sounded great, except for one piece, which admittedly did sound better once we'd had a break and retuned. Our duet sounded mostly all right (I know hearing notes slightly out of tune is normal for performance, because one's hearing goes hyper-critical) except for the bit where I relaxed in the repeat of the A section. I glanced away from my music, and when I looked back I had no idea where we were. I quickly ran out of what I remembered of the two bars following and had to stop playing until I figured out where my partner was. Very embarrassing; thank goodness it happened at the dress, so it won't happen at the recital itself. We ended up cutting the repeat (which makes sense apart from my gaffe, as the A section is forty bars and quite long enough on its own), which reduces my chances of over-relaxing and losing my place. The other solos sounded terrific. It's going to be a good recital.

~
* The original post at Owls' Court
* Owls' Court: the main journal
~

No comments: