Monday, January 12, 2009

Trading Trial 7/8s

I stopped by my luthier this weekend to drop off the last trial 7/8 (you know, the one I got in early December that was due back the 26th, but they were closed for two weeks? Yeah, that one.) and it turned out that they had a new 7/8 that had arrived, so we just switched the cellos in the case, scratched out the old serial number and entered the new one on the trial contract, and I went back home with another cello. (I'd kind of been looking forward to having only one instrument case in my office, but hey, I take the 7/8s when I can get them because they're hard to find.) I took it out as soon as we got home and it's just lovely: a deep chestnutty-red colour (none of the orange stuff I dislike!) with two little knots on the front that look like dimples. It's certainly my second favourite-looking instrument so far in this epic search, the first being the chocolate-amber one that was bought out from under me back in May. I played the first section of the Lee sonata, and from what I can hear from behind it the sound is nice, too -- much more focused than the last 7/8, and certainly well-balanced across all four strings. We'll see what happens when I bring it to my next lesson and my teacher plays it for me so I can hear what it sounds like from in front of the instrument instead of behind it.

~
* The original post at Owls' Court
* Owls' Court: the main journal
~

No comments: