Saturday, June 28, 2008

The State of Autumn

Pretty wiped, actually. Very languid. Not much energy at all. I think it's partially due to the weather (How much more damp can it get? Can it just rain properly, already? It feels like we're walking through mist all the time, the air is so wet.), partially due to the intense rehearsals and lack of sleep after them (I'm doing the skating through light sleep cycles thing and waking up a lot these days), and partially due to something I haven't quite figured out yet. Plus there's that kid who lives here who gets cranky in high heat or humidity, loses his appetite, and sleeps abysmally. He's been getting up at five-thirty in the morning, and didn't nap at all yesterday.

We went out to the luthier this morning and I picked up the new 7/8 cello he received for a two week home trial. (I have to take it back on my birthday. How depressing is that?) I played it for half an hour straight after the boy went down for his nap, and, well, I don't know. I liked the first one better; I think it sounded a bit more mellow. (Oh, how I wish I'd had the idea of recording them when I tried it back in May!) The colour on this one is more orangey-red, kind of a deeper version of the one I have now. I preferred the brown-amber of the first one. It has nice resonance, and is easy to play, and feels all right under my fingertips. I haven't tried the bow yet; I used my own. I'm just not completely in love with it the way I was with the first one. I am, however, completely in love with the soft case it comes with (three handles, including a double handle on the side to carry it like a suitcase! Lots of pockets! Padded straps! So well padded overall that it almost stands up on its own! Extra padding around the bridge! And I got to see an Eastman hard case, the one with wheels, which was so light I thought I was dreaming. It too had multiple handles. I was having a geeky day, evidently, to be so impressed by multiple handles. I also got to see the finish in person, which was important, because all the photos I've seen of them made me very wary, as the finish is pebbled and looks almost iridescent. This one was blue, and while I'd prefer a deep green (but they don't make a darker one) or an ivory or black, I could live with the blue if I had to. Mind you, if I'm going to drop $500 on a hard case, I'll darn well get them to order the colour I want, thanks. (Oooh! The Z-tek Deluxe model is now available in dark emerald green! Hmm. Duly noted.)

It feels a tiny bit bigger than the last one, too. But then, I didn't switch between the 7/8 and my full-sized cello when I played it, like I did the last time. I checked the windings: it's strung with a Helicore C and G, and Larsen D and A strings. It has a really deeply arched back, too.

The A doesn't blend as well as the last one did. But that's something that can be adjusted by poking the soundpost. It's certainly resonant. I'll post more notes as I play with it over the next couple of weeks.

People requested pictures. Here's a shot of the two cellos side by side, so you can see the difference in size and proportion.

4/4 and 7/8, June 28 20084/4 and 7/8, June 28 2008


(Slightly condensed from the original post at Owls' Court.)

No comments: